Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wiener Kaffeehaus

If you're craving for something a lil different to eat on our lil isle, Wiener Kaffeehaus would make a wonderful start. It's a quaint lil place tucked away at Outram that serves up great Set Lunches and even better dessert. Did I also mention that the place is owned by a charming Austrian named Anton? On my first visit to Wiener Kaffeehaus, I got lost. Only to realise just how 'far' I actually was from their front porch (I was just across the road). I fell in love with the place the moment I stepped in. Somehow my hunger seemed to dissipate just for that moment when Anton extended a warm welcome to his restaurant.

We were surrounded by paintings, a mirrored wall, dark wood furnishing and warm-coloured walls...they've got free wireless all-day to boot. What's special about the place is not only the decór, but also the layout of this very unique shophouse unit. After waiting several months upon months for numerous building permits to be approved, Anton finally got the look he wanted: a raised level with stairs leading up to it and another short flight of stairs leading down to the restroom and kitchen. Once you're on the raised level, there's a back door that leads out onto a small balcony area where one can hold a small quiet dinner amongst friends.

When you look down, you'll see the $14,000 in-house roastery that was specially imported from Austria.

Here's what I've tried: their Wiener Schnitzel ($16.50)-featured here, Wiener Saft Gulasch ($9.50) and Potato Dumpling ($3)-it tasted nothing like potato which was interesting for lunch. Do check out their daily lunch specials ($12), they offer different things all the time.

Next up, dessert was to-die-for. I tried their Sacher Torte ($4.80)-yes you're looking at it and Apple Strudel ($4.80) Personally, I prefer my Sacher Torte served cold..because the chocolate will harden and it goes better with the layer of manuka honey in the cake. But so as to be impartial, I've also tried the cake served warm and I still prefer it otherwise ha. The apple strudel was a soft pastry variation, with a generous apple filling.

//all prices are nett & free wireless all-day!

The I-wanna-know[s]:

Food - 8/10
Price - $$
Service - 8/10
Ambience - 9/10
Accessibility - 6.5/10

Legend:
[$]-cheap like peanuts
[$$]-average Jane
[$$$]-you might wanna tke tht card out..
[$$$$]-extremely exorbitant

Address: 148 Neil Road Singapore 088877
Tel: 6226 3148

Opening hours: 9am-10pm
Dress code: casual
Getting there: Outram Park Exit G- Cantonment Police Complex, at the junction opposite a row of shophouses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do they serve set lunches if they open only at 6pm? What's the address?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing tht out! mde a mistake there..it's been corrected. =) The address is 148 Neil Rd, they've got a map of their location at http://www.wienerkaffeehaus.com.sg

Anonymous said...

i personally went down to this place on saturday and i must say i was so impressed. the service was good and the food was fantastic and came in sizeable portions. A great heads up to the owner for telling me about it!