Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Delicacy Food Centre

You must be wondering where/what this place is huh? Well it's my favourite claypot beef rice stall! Besides beef rice, they serve up pretty good zhi char too. The place is run by a Cantonese chef & mostly Cantonese crew too as far as I can tell. How do I know this you may ask? He speaks fluent Cantonese with that familiar Hong Kong twang, and his beef rice is drowned in egg gravy - a tell-tale cooking trait of a Cantonese chef because they love soupy-gravy stuff. Yums.

For the longest time - 4 yrs to be precise, I've been a blur sotong of a customer who ate at his stall with blind loyalty without knowing its name. I discovered their name only after they wisely invented a laminated 'quick menu' that was conveniently placed on my table. For what it's worth, I must say I've brought him many customers along the way who inevitably fell in love with his gravy-licious dishes & SUPERB clear soups. Go ahead & sample everything on the menu! Soups are priced at $1/bowl.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Claypot Beef Rice ($4)


I dare say I can count AT LEAST 5 friends of mine who are fans of the stall's cantonese fare. Although the place is rather small, there's always a long queue of people at lunchtime waiting to da-bao his caifan. He only starts cooking zhi char from approx. 1.30pm, after the lunch frenzy dies down. They close early at about 7pm thereabouts.


The I-wanna-know[s]:

Taste - 8.5/10
Price - $
Service - 7/10
Ambience - 7/10 (it's a coffeeshop stall or sorts, dont have high hopes)
Accessibility - 8/10

Legend:
[$]-cheap like peanuts
[$$]-average Jane
[$$$]-you might wanna tke tht card out..
[$$$$]-extremely exorbitant

Tel: (65) 6732 4892

Address:
Far East Plaza, #05-99

Opening hours: 11am-7pm on most days
Dress code: casual
Buses: 143, 124, 167, 54, 190, 132, 171, 162..
Nearest MRT: Orchard MRT station

No comments: